Defining VCL-like framework for Python

Alexander Staubo nospam at mop.no
Wed May 19 09:04:43 EDT 1999

In article <7hu4qu$16m$1 at freyja.bart.nl>, def-p at usa.net says...

> Alexander Staubo wrote...
>
> >Delphi is particularly good -- especially compared to such toolkits as
> >Microsoft's MFC -- because it offers clean OOP concepts,
>
> Hmm, it's not that clean, but that's not the point here... :)

It's arguably cleaner and more robust than Python's OO implementation,
but possibly that's just me.

For example, and I might have this wrong (ie., there could be
workarounds), Python has problems with cyclic references. If two objects
have references to each other, you need to delete both objects to resolve
the link: There's no support for weak connections to objects, other than
inane workarounds such as factory functions or referring to objects by
string names.

> While you are of course entitled to your opinion, I beg to differ...
> I've been using both: Delphi at work, Python for kicks, and while
> Tkinter had a bit of learning curve (also because it's so different from
> Delphi) I now find that developing in Python & Tkinter is not
> significantly slower, or more painful, than in Delphi.

And there are even people who like the MFC. :)

[snip]
> I think designing all-new components (not constructed from existing ones)
> won't be that easy, though.  Is it possible?   *looks expectantly at Tkinter
> demigods*

But worth it.

--
Alexander Staubo             http://www.mop.no/~alex/
"Give me an underground laboratory, half a dozen atom smashers and a beautiful