Python vs. VB

Roy Stephan rstephan at yahoo.com
Tue May 18 08:05:04 EDT 1999

On 17 May 1999 21:42:09 -0500, claird at Starbase.NeoSoft.COM (Cameron
Laird) wrote:

>In article <Mq003.977$Ku4.34515 at iad-read.news.verio.net>,
>Tom Culliton <culliton at clark.net> wrote:

>I wasn't clear.  I agree there is a plethora of exist-
>ing issues with VB.  I intended to write, "If your
>organization already has a particular concern about
>VB, ..."
>--

great stuff so far!

more our particular situation:
We were suprised at how difficult it was to include DLL's from VB into
Delphi.  Python has a 'simple example' that does just that.

  We have already decided to use C++ for time intensive execution,
what we are concerned with now is our higher level
business/COM/'logic' objects.  We are writting a thin interface layer
in ASP (perlscript, most likely) which will connect to deeper logic
COM objects.  I think that Python would be perfect.  Unfortunately VB
has a lot of momentum here.

  Basically we are looking for a high speed of development and an
ability to go back and change the logic quickly and easily as
specifications shift like sand dunes.  VB seems to offer these things
but the structures are not as reliable as Python's.  Also they are
based towards the Visual, which does not even play in this equation.
I shudder whenever I look at what passes for an object in VB, and
Python just seems so smooth in all respects.

Thanks for all the help so far!  I welcome any new angles/comments.
--Roy