Bug or feature?

Boudewijn Rempt boud at rempt.xs4all.nl
Fri May 14 14:11:57 EDT 1999

Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:

> maybe some of the recent posters could shed some light on
> this: where did you learn about class variables in the first
> place?  and if you used them in an earlier life, what made
> you start using them in Python?

Well, I'm not a recent poster - more like a recent convert. I guess
I did learn about class variables in Internet Programming with Python,
but I didn't understand the implications until I came across the
task of building a reference counter in Visual Basic. Anyway, the
confusion was of a short duration. The tutorial did little for me,
however, it's often only after I've figured something out for myself
that it begins to make sense.

I've still got some trouble wrapping my mind around not being able
to assign names to elements of tuples, though. Nothing that time
and more knowledge won't heal, I'm sure.
--

Boudewijn Rempt  | www.xs4all.nl/~bsarempt