1.5.2 build problems -- time module

Alexander Staubo earlybird at mop.no
Sun May 23 22:55:21 EDT 1999

In article <3746EA3F.AA660FBB at otenet.gr>, vlachid at otenet.gr says...
> Hi
> Why you don't install it directly from Suse 6.0 CDs?
> Costas
> Neel Krishnaswami wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to build the 1.5.2 version of Python from source on
> > a SuSE Linux 5.3 system (kernel 2.0.34 and libc5). The compilation
> > went okay, but when I ran 'make test' I got the following error
> > in the regression tests:
> >
> > test_time
> > test test_time crashed -- exceptions.AttributeError : altzone
[snip]
> > and what I need to do to fix it? (I recall some discussion of a
> > similar problem, but can't seem to find it on Dejanews; is it a bug
> > fixed in CVS, perhaps?)

Check out the discussion "Make test fails on time module...". It got me
back on the right track: There is a bug in timemodule.c that breaks the
time module on glibc 1.x (libc5, which you're using) systems.

You can either upgrade to glibc 2.x (libc6, eg. glibc 2.0.6), or you can
fix the time module. Note that all sorts of software seems to require
libc6 nowadays, including Zope.

--
Alexander Staubo
mailto:alex at mop.no