Detecting second instance of a program in NT!

Mark Hammond MHammond at skippinet.com.au
Wed May 12 19:28:39 EDT 1999

This is not a Python questions, but a Windows programming question.
Whatever technique you would use in C would still work.  Common techniques
include a named mutex, or using DDE.  In almost all cases, there _is_ a
second instance, but it simply starts, communicates with the existing
process and terminates before showing a window - hence it _appears_ only 1
instance ever existed.

Pythonwin uses DDE to achieve this, but the win32* modules should give you
all the options you need.

Mark.