Help for beginner

Max M. Stalnaker stalnaker at acm.org
Sun May 30 14:50:02 EDT 1999

Python is a reasonable choice in that it has some convenient computer science
structures already builtin or available in libraries and has minimal keywords.
You have to buy all the python books and once you work through those, (being an
old-timer) I suggest you work through volume I of Knuth's opus on programming.
Other people will have more current suggestions, but no one will complain about
a Knuth recommendation.  Embrace the object orientation of python but stay away
from GUI implementations for awhile.

On the negative side, as a glue language, Python work tends to require multiple
knowledge sets to do a lot of stuff.  That is, you have to know Python, a lot
of python libraries, and whatever you want to glue in.  So there is a sense
that the more you know about everything, the better Python programmer you will
be.  And you cannot usually find what you need to know about other stuff on the
web.

As a not very good Python programmer, I think if you just work through the
Python books people will talk to you here with no problems.  They even talk to
me.

Max M. Stalnaker  stalnaker at acm.org
Astar Computer Consulting:  Networking and Custom Accounting Software