Python 2.0

Fred Pacquier fredp at multimania.com
Fri May 28 17:49:37 EDT 1999

In article <199905280534.HAA13311 at axil.hvision.nl>, ivnowa at hvision.nl wrote:

>If it will be implemented in C or C++, I can't see how Python 2.0
>will *not* compile for DOS, but in Java, it's a different bowl of
>soup. Anyway, my point is not really that there should be a DOS
>version, but... Right now Python can be built on just about any
>system. That's because there's a C compiler for just about any
>system. Choosing Java as implementation language would change that.
>(And, for a working graphical implementation, one would need, say,
>Java, Python and Tkinter...)
>
>This argument may seem feeble but many users of less popular systems
>are very glad that there's a Python available for them. I think it
>would be desirable to keep it that way.

Good point. As an example, a port of Python for the Psion Series 5 (under the
EPOC OS) came out shortly after the machine's release, thanks to a British
hacker. OTOH, Psion users have been bemoaning the lack of the long-promised
Java VM for that platform. It looks like it's only going to be fulfilled this
summer, with the next-generation 5mx, over two years after the original...
J-Python, C-Python, choice is better :-)