Python 2.0

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Fri May 28 18:57:49 EDT 1999

"Stidolph, David" wrote:

> Speaking for myself, we are using Python as an embedded language for an
> application to add scripting abilities to it.  We decided to go with Python
> instead of Java because of the C-Level interface.  It gave us the confidence
> that we could "hack" into Python when it was required.  That would not be
> practical for a Java version of Python.

I wonder if this is truth of perception. I have not tried to extend a JVM
in many years but I wonder how easy/hard it woud be today. JNI is supposed
to do it and I know that Microsoft's proprietary extensions made it very
easy on Windows. I also know that Cygnus working on making C/Java
integration easy. I'd be interested in hearing about people's modern
experiences with Java/C integration.

Another thing to consider is whether we should really still be in the
mindset of manually hacking together languages. Isn't that what
COM/CORBA/OLE and a dozen other standards are supposed to do for us? I
kind of feel that things like SWIG and Perl's XSUB are too useful in that
they don't give us enough impetus to solve this problem once and for all
properly.

I hate to say it but you can do some pretty neat stuff on Windows talking
between languages without a bunch of custom glue code. Why is Unix so far
behind in this regard?

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

Alabama's constitution is 100 years old, 300 pages long and has more than
600 amendments. Highlights include "Amendment 393: Amendment of Amendment
No.  351", "Validation of Laws Regulating Court Costs in Randolph County",
"Miscegenation laws", "Bingo Games in Russell County", "Suppression
of dueling".  - http://www.legislature.state.al.us/ALISHome.html