Python vs. VB

Roy Stephan rstephan at yahoo.com
Mon May 17 18:04:23 EDT 1999

On 17 May 1999 16:38:54 -0500, claird at Starbase.NeoSoft.COM (Cameron
Laird) wrote:

>In article <37407bc5.343558265 at news.esinet.net>,
>>I would like the COM objects to be implimented in Python rather than
>>VB.
>			.
>Yes, but most interesting are the pertinent ones.
>What matters to your decision-makers beside the

Okay, good, if you want more information...

We developed a number of database objects in VB that were difficult to
incorporate with delphi scripts.  They also ran painfully slow and
were difficult to extend.  We are in the process of re-writting them
in C++.  The problem is that we have a lot of programmers here that
know VB.  I am the only one with any knowledge of Python.  I have
asked about doing my more high level development in C++ and they feel
that is overboard for the business apps.

  I think that they are ripe to be plucked but I can not go in there
and just state that Microsoft sucks.  Most of the benchmarks that I
have done with VB show it doing fairly well.  Someone has gone through
before me and convinced the managment that VB is 100% object oriented,
so that is a tough battle there.
  I am currently learning COM development and I think that if I can
show that it is easy in Python and demonstrate some quick and useful
classes I might get them.  I was wondering if people had any further
ideas for me to buffer my examples with (they probably will not really
understand the examples anyways).  I need some things to point to them
to in order to convince them that Python is a capable development
environment.

  I was wondering if there are any pamphlets or web pages out there
that describe Python in the language of marketers/managers.  Most of
it is programmer oriented and that is what won me over, but I am
looking for help moving the key points into a laser light show.

  I think that I can make some points about the ability to learn it
easily.  That is one of the great things about VB (in their eyes), but
I could use some testimonials or case studies where non-programers
picked up Python quickly.  Really I will use any good, management spin
that people can think of.

--Roy
http://www.snl.com