Questions from a pre-newbie

Joern Stoeylen stoeylen at eunet.no
Fri May 14 07:48:43 EDT 1999

Hi, everybody.

I know a little programming (fooled around with C++ some years ago and
have been playing a little bit with JavaScript lately). What I've seen
of Python after snooping around on the web, I think it should be pretty
easy to learn.

But as I have no experience at all on CGI programming, I'd like to know
how easy it is to do this, and what's needed, both from me and from my
ISP.

Let me give you a concrete example: I'd like to make a script for
password protecting a section of my homesite (see link in my signature)
containing personal info for my friends and family.

I've downloaded and installed Python 1.5.1 for Mac. So, my question is:
What do I do now? Write a program, compile(?), put it (where?) on my
site, does this require that my ISP has Python installed also, etc.
etc...

I'm not asking for a complete course, but I'd like to know how easy this
is, and if I have to contact my ISP (http://www.eunet.no) and ask them
to set up anything.

Or do I have to set up my own server to do things like this?

Please, help me, and convert me into a snake! :-)

Regards,

n: Jo/rn Sto/ylen
e: stoeylen at eunet.no
h: http://home.eunet.no/~stoeylen