Python mailing list vs. References: (was Re: My quarterly question on Design by Contract in Python...)

Randall Hopper aa8vb at vislab.epa.gov
Tue May 11 06:36:19 EDT 1999

Aahz Maruch:
 |I've noticed that posts from both Tim Peters and David Ascher are coming
 |through unthreaded, and I suspect it's because either either the mailing
 |list software or their mailers are not preserving the References: line
 |correctly.  Is there anything that can be done about this?

No problem with threading here, on this thread for example, but I'm using
mutt (http://www.mutt.org/).

 |(It's also annoying to get posts cc'd to me by e-mail, but at least I
 |can tell when they're going to be public, too.)

Are you setting your Mail-Followup-To: header?  I don't know if this is in
a standards doc somewhere, but if this header is set, group replies in Mutt
won't include the original sender.

I personally prefer to receive e-mail replies, so I always tell Mutt "not"
to set this header:

.muttrc:
  unset followup_to                       # Yes, I want e-mail for list replies

Randall