Defining VCL-like framework for Python

David Ascher da at ski.org
Fri May 21 17:39:53 EDT 1999

On Fri, 21 May 1999, Just van Rossum wrote:

> I tried to find his Acquisition module, but couldn't. Maybe seeing the code
> helps understanding it.

Seeing the C code doesn't help at all.  Seeing examples might.

> Although it *does* scare me that ExtensionClasses get into this
> picture at all. Or is that just to keep things efficient?

I don't know.  I did some prototype acquisition-like things (but much less
worked-out than Jim's) in 100% Python but using Don Beaudry's "object"
metaclass hook see http://starship.python.net/crew/da/acquisition/).
Well, looking at the code on my website, I'm puzzled -- I import 'object'
but don't actually use it.  Then again, the code doesn't seem to work very
well =). That's what happens when you code this sort of stuff when working
on a thesis at the same time.  Sigh.

Moral of that story: wait for Jim's stuff to resurface (I may have a copy
of the source at home).  Then you can explode your brain.

--david