Productivity and the two language approach (was: Using Python for Modular Artificial Intelligence code)

Ilja Heitlager news at helen.demon.nl
Mon May 3 15:01:03 EDT 1999

Tim Auld wrote in message ...

>Sure, I can appreciate the programming ease which these higher level
>languages bring (I think Java is really clean), but when you are working on
>games you kinda need to go "blind on speed" to a large degree.
It did work in Scientific Computing and now I do work in Information
Systems. It is the same argument over there.
Anyway again, I think that 'Python Lovers' love the language so much because
it really improves productivity

>It's no good having a game that was easy to program if it runs like a dog.
True, but it is also no good if it takes days or even weeks to program and
debug something, if it only takes a few % of your total run time and it
could be programmed in only a few hours in another language, right?

>You can learn
>the syntax to any language in a few days, but a language is more than just
>syntax.  There are many small things you need to learn, and the different
>libraries/APIs/tools/experience etc. that come along with it.

Most certainly true!!

>This is not supposed to be a "my language is better than yours" debate :)
>please let's agree to disagree -
Ok

>I really think Python is good, it's just
>that using it doesn't weigh up in this situation.
The latter I still am not sure of, but lets refrase:

Is there anybody who has detailed numbers on the productivity increase using
the two-language approach.?

Ilja