wxpython

Robin Dunn robin at alldunn.com
Mon May 24 20:06:50 EDT 1999

vlachidis costas wrote in message <37482E3D.7FA2222A at otenet.gr>...
>Hi
>Tis afternoon I installed wxPython in my win95 disc partition
>Having some experience in wxwindows programming, with the wxClips
>package, I have some questions(of course with my congratulations  to the
>staf that made wxpython a reality.)

Thank you.

>  1. is it possible to use all ths software referd in the /doc directory
>from wxPuthon?

One of the pages in the documentation set under "wxPython Notes" is titled
"wxWindows classes implemented in wxPython"  Take a look here to know which
wxWindows classes are implemented for wxPython.  wxPython supports a sub-set
of wxWindows, but since the interfaces for most classes are identical or
nearly so to their C++ counterparts I didn't see the need for a dedicated
set of documents. If there is a class you need that is not listed on the
page, it may be done in the next release or two and I expand the coverage...

>  2. image.py module starts with the statement : import imagec. Where is
>it?

The imagec module and several others are embedded in the wxc module.
Because of some limitations with SWIG, (single compilation unit per module,)
I had to create several extension modules where I normally would only have
created one.  To simplify matters somewhat, I link them all together and
then import them automatically when wxc is imported.

>  3. some modules says :at the begining  "created with SWIG". what is
>it?

SWIG is a tool (found at http://www.swig.org/) that I used to generate the
majority of the source code for the wxPython extension module.

>  4.Is it possible to handle (from a .py file)  wxWindows standard files
>like .wxr ,or .wrc files
>     created by  DIALOGEDIT.exe editor made by Julian Smart the creator
>of wxWindows?

Almost.  The wxWindows resource functions are wrapped and available to
wxPython, but one of the users reported some problems when attempting to use
them.  I have it on my TODO list to make it work, but havn't gotten to it
yet.  If anybody has a small example that demonstrates the problem I would
appreciate it.

>  5.is it possible to use numerical python together with wxPython to
>elaborate some images?

Yes, the wxPlotCanvas demo uses Numeric module in a simple example.

>  6.is it possible to handle more image formats with wxPython?

As things currently stand, handlers for new image types would have to be
added to wxWindows first and then wrappers added to wxPython, but it is
theoretically possible to have Python-only image handlers.  On the other
hand, since the Big 4 (BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG) are already taken care of, this
isn't a very high priority.

--
Robin Dunn
robin at AllDunn.com