Python IS slow ! [was] Re: Python too slow for real world

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Tue May 4 18:14:03 EDT 1999

It goes on...

Christian Tismer <tismer at appliedbiometrics.com> writes:
> Michael Hudson wrote:
> > The similarity of the code in xapply.py and in closure.py makes me
> > think that I should write some general framework for mutilating
> > codestrings. Support for changing the length of the codestring is
> > pretty much a must for that.
>
> Maybe, yes. WOuld mean to break the code list into slices,
> add some lables, and re-resolve them again. Looks like
> not the big deal, but some work.

I've abandonded any hope of doing any real work this evening and
bashed on this a bit more. There's a new tarball on the starship that
implements a first attempt at a general code editing framework, and a
(buggy) implementation of an attribute freezer.

Comments are very much appreciated! My background isn't in this kind
of stuff (heck, I'm a mathematician), so if someone knows a better way
of organising things, I'd certainly like to know

> Thanks for the fun.
> Wondering how far this can continue :-)

I'm sure there's life in it yet...

Michael