Concrete Proposal: while ... and while ...

Corran Webster cwebster at math.tamu.edu
Thu May 20 00:31:58 EDT 1999

In article <3742B1F3.4653D44A at prescod.net>,
Paul Prescod  <paul at prescod.net> wrote:

>I think you should resist allowing the multi-conditional version until we
>have had a few years of experience with this version.

I'd resist it because I'm not sure what a multi-conditional version should
_do_?  Should multiple "and while"s act like "if not test: break", or
should it be more like:

while 1:
  if test1:
    continue
  elif test2:
    continue
  else:
    break

Both behaviours generalise the case of a single test, both seem sort of
natural, and whichever one you choose it's going to have people wanting
the other behaviour in some circumstances, I suspect.  I'm sort of
curious what people think about this sort of thing, but I'm not about
to include it in the patch.

conservative-radical-ly y'rs,
Corran