Bytecode optimisation

Graham Matthews graham at sloth.math.uga.edu
Tue May 18 21:19:38 EDT 1999

Christian Tismer (tismer at appliedbiometrics.com) wrote:
: Guys, you are at the wrong end. This is another complete waste
: of time. The whole interpreter overhead is bound to an average
: of about 30 percent, when everything is C-code. I'd wonder if
: bytecode optimization would give more than 15 percent on
: average, when semantics are not changed.

I would be amazed if bytecode optimisation got you even a 5% speedup
on average. The places where real speed can be gained is in
semantic changes (not going to happen), dynamic compilation (either
to real code or bytecodes), memory management, etc.

Christian Tismer (tismer at appliedbiometrics.com) wrote:
: The loop opcode will anyway continue to call a sequence_getitem,
: wether it knows the type or not.

Yep and that call to a sequence_getitem is where the time is really
being used.

graham

--
             Like a bird on a wire