Defining VCL-like framework for Python

Alexander Staubo earlybird at mop.no
Tue May 25 00:17:45 EDT 1999

In article <374A0170.3D815B39 at palladion.com>, tseaver at palladion.com
says...
> Minor correction to an excellent summary of the VCL:
[nip]
> To be fair, that amortizes out pretty nicely (your code compiles down amazingly
> far, and there is very little overhead for adding additional forms, with
> gillions of controls each, because the VCL is already compiled in).

Furthermore Delphi 4 supports "packages", a nifty but actually pretty
hackish way of compiling components (including the whole VCL) into DLLs
and transparently linking to those. There's surprisingly little overhead,
size and performancewise, in using packages. A small Delphi app can
compile to just ~20K this way.

Of course, the whole VCL measures a good 1.5MB. Fortunately you can skim
your distribution for unnecessary packages (eg., the DB packages if your
app does not use DB components).

Good summary, though. All in all there's a surprising number of Delphi
programmers in this forum :-)

--
Alexander Staubo             http://www.mop.no/~alex/
"Give me an underground laboratory, half a dozen atom smashers and a beautiful