Using Tkinter in windows 98

Dennis Wilson lincwils at teleport.com
Sat May 29 18:29:38 EDT 1999

My machine is an ibm aptive with windows 98 installed. I have a beautifully
running tcl and perl with tk. I have tried to install and get to work python
with tkinter. What an adventure.

This final error message has me stymied.
in python
>>> import _tkinter;
ImportError: DLL Load: a device attached to the system is not functioning.

Like which device. The system is working fine. Python is not functioning.

Just an aside, these kinds of vacuous error messages are part of what gives
software a bad name.

Let's go down a quick check list of what I can think of:
    the keyboard:  nope, I am typing this email and keys are appearing
    the monitor:     nope, I can see what I am doing
    the harddrive:  nope, I can save things
    the cpu:            I don't think so.
    the printer:       nope, I just printed something off the web.
    So what is going on?????