Python 2.0

Gang Li gangli at msn.com
Sun May 30 01:16:29 EDT 1999

Graham Matthews wrote in message <7ik6mi$lbk$1 at cronkite.cc.uga.edu>...
>I read the following interesting snippet at
>
> http://www.python.org/workshops/1997-10/proceedings/hugunin.html
>
>>6.2. Python in Java's Advantages
>>
>>Using Java as the underlying systems language for Python has a number of
>>advantages over the current implementation of Python in C.  First and
>>foremost of these in my mind is the opportunity to ride the Java
>>popularity wave and let Python code run everywhere there's a Java VM.
>>It also makes the rich set of portable Java API's available from within
>>Python.

Python is a real programming language.  We should not turn it in to a Java
extension.
I hate someone just want to take Python to Java mass and say 'me too'.
Perl, Tcl/Tk,
and Smalltalk have no plan to turn themselves in to a Java extension.  Why
Python?  If
you love Jave to death, spent all your time to help sun conquer the world.
Don't mess
with Python.

JPython is good enough for Java lover to play with.  But Java is not and
will never be
the only universal programming language.  Python will live well and better
without Java.

Gang Li
gangli at msn.com