Threading under Slackware

Preston Landers planders at mail.utexas.edu
Tue May 25 20:40:28 EDT 1999

Hello friends,

I'm trying to get my little Python app to run on a strange (read: not
admin'ed by me) Slackware Linux box.

My problem is that my app relies heaving on the module 'threading'
which in turns relies on the built-in module 'thread.'  Unfortunately
this module thread does not seem to be availible on this slackware
box.

When I try to 'from threading import *' the threading module tries to
import thread and gets something along the lines of a module not found
error.

Is it possible to run this app on Slackware?  What do I need to tell
the box's admin to do?  Is it 'simply' recompiling Python with thread
support, or is Slackware just not going to cut it?  (I developed it on
my Debian 2.1 box.)

By the way, my app is some stuff related to search engines and it will
be GPL'ed and released in the next couple of months.  Mostly it
submits lists of URL's to various search engines and has a few other
little function.

Thanks,

Preston