The way to a faster python [was Python IS slow !]

Markus Kohler markusk at bidra241.bbn.hp.com
Mon May 17 04:44:19 EDT 1999

Martijn Faassen <faassen at pop.vet.uu.nl> writes:

> Markus Kohler wrote:
> [lots of my Swallow ideas]
> >
> > IMHO it's a great idea.
>
> Thanks! Though I think the only new contribution (which doesn't seem to
> be new outside Python) is the idea of subsetting Python (a strict
> subset) to get a manageable variety for translation/compilation.
>
> Now we should work out that subset. :)

A first start could be a very minimal subset.
Squeak's (www.squeak.org) subset is very minimal, in fact it's almost
C with a Smalltalk syntax. For example  polymorphic calls and inheritance
are not supported. Still the subset is enough to implement a virtual machine
including garbage collection.

Unfortunately the subset is not really documented, it doesn't even have a
real name ;-)

Markus

Markus Kohler  mailto:markus_kohler at hp.com