Python T-shirt, mascot

Mark Jackson mjackson at wc.eso.mc.xerox.com
Tue May 4 09:18:49 EDT 1999

William Peterson <wpeterson at cfa.harvard.edu> writes:
> What, pray tell, is the "Knuth indentation quote"?

Probably:

	We will perhaps eventually be writing only small modules which
	are identified by name as they are used to build larger ones,
	so that devices like indentation, rather than delimiters, might
	become feasible for expressing local structure in the source
	language.

		- Donald E. Knuth, "Structured Programming with goto
		  Statements", Computing Surveys, Vol 6 No 4, Dec. 1974

See http://starship.python.net/crew/amk/quotations/python-quotes.html.
	The data structures of the code require some degree
	higher than a PhD to understand, since we've got PhDs
	and we can't figure them out.           - J. A. Templon