Python IS slow ! [was] Re: Python too slow for real world

Christian Tismer tismer at appliedbiometrics.com
Sat May 1 12:18:14 EDT 1999

Michael Hudson wrote:

> Christian Tismer <tismer at appliedbiometrics.com> writes:
>
> > Randall Hopper wrote:
> > >
> > > Christian Tismer:
> > >  |Terry Reedy wrote:
[we all about locking to do kinda early binding]

> I think I can do this. Not to classes yet, but given a function, I can
> make you another function where all the global lookups are bound to
> the values found at that moment.

Whow. Really! A true hacker :)

[examples of usage]

> Is this what you wanted?

Partially, yes. This is as far as one can go without
extending the interpreter. The next step would be
to break into the API, freeze types, and so on...

> A word of warning: this code is nasty, *nasty*, NASTY.  Possibly the
> most horrible thing you will see perpetrated in Python this year. It
> applies regular expressions to strings of bytecode...

I'm really impressed. No, what is ugly about that?
Don Beaudry's functor module comes into mind.
Not fiddling bytecodes, but the techniques are nearly
as "insane" as yours. Do you think that functors
could be sped up with your bytecode art?
I think a good trick is never ugly if written with
elegance.

I will try some more with your code and contact you by
private email.

ciao - chris

Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 101   :    *Starship* http://starship.python.net
10553 Berlin                 :     PGP key -> http://wwwkeys.pgp.net