Teaching python to beginners

Magnus L. Hetland mlh at idt.ntnu.no
Mon May 31 09:37:37 EDT 1999

dbarker at camosun.bc.nospam.ca (Deryk Barker) writes:

> Does anyone have any experience with teaching Python as a *first*
> programming language.
>
> I'm looking into the feasbility of this and would like to discuss it
> with anyone who has experience or thoughts in the area.

Well -- I've done an effort in my "Instant Hacking" at
http://www.idi.ntnu.no/~mlh/python/instant.html

Personally, I think Python is a brilliant choice as a first language.
*Much* more so than, for instance, Java (which is used here at the
university...) If you stick to the basic procedural programming
constructs, it is extremely simple. It's almost like teaching
pseudocode, which is basically what one would want to at such an early
stage, I guess...

--

  Magnus
  Lie