running application config files written in Python

William Tanksley wtanksle at dolphin.openprojects.net
Sat May 1 14:33:28 EDT 1999

On 30 Apr 1999 18:27:48 -0400, David Steuber wrote:

>b)  I still have some wrinkles to work out with my signature.  I have
>a fixed portion of text followed by the output of the fortune
>program.  I can shorten the fixed portion easily enough.  However, I
>don't know how to make fortune grab only short quotes.  It is pot luck
>whether it is one line or ten.

"fortune -s"

Will give only short fortunes.  Use the "-n X" option, where X is the
number of characters in a "short" fortune.  (That's not the number of
lines, but oh well.)

"fortune -s -n 200"

Personally, I prefer to use fortune to find cool quotes, and then place
them in my .sig by hand.

--
-William "Billy" Tanksley
"But you shall not escape my iambics."