Books seen locally...

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony at lsl.co.uk
Mon May 24 04:48:30 EDT 1999

Strange - a post that can go to both my favourite email groups - for the
*other* group, "Python" is a programming language, and "HPV" means
"Human Powered Vehicle"... I *think* this is just about on topic...

I was in our local (Cambridge, Cambridgeshire) Dillons on Friday
afternoon, and saw:

- about 4 copies of the EnCYCLEopedia in their cycling section (price
  12 pounds)
- copies of Learning Python and the Python Pocket Reference in their
  computing section (albeit under "Unix and Perl"!).

I already have the EnCYCLEopedia, so didn't buy it. I *did* buy the
pocket reference, but deferred buying "LP" - I don't *need* it, it's
just completism (and we're short on cash at the moment).

I complimented the relevant departments on their sense in stocking
these books. Apparently the EnCYCLEopedia was just because the rep had
said "here, buy this" and the guy in charge of that section had thought
it looked interesting (I paraphrase heavily). The clerk in the
computing section didn't see why I was surprised that they had the
Python books - but they have a lot of O'Reilly stuff.

For reference, I don't know if Heffers had them (since I didn't have
time to visit there), but I do know Waterstones didn't (but then I've
never *found* their cycling section, and their computing section is
odd).

[Heffers is my first love, Waterstones has coffee and cake and fridge
magnets and the best audio"book" section, but Dillons scores because it
has the most small-child-and-parent-friendly children's section (*with*
a good selection of books!), and a toilet (with changing shelf)]

Tibs
--
Tony J Ibbs (Tibs)      http://www.tibsnjoan.demon.co.uk/