starting a python script daemon at Linux boot time

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Sun May 16 09:50:49 EDT 1999

In article <7hlkvj$58r$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>, Mookie D.  <mookied at iname.com> wrote:

>QUESTION #2: Need to run it as background task from init.d script?
>
>I discovered that running "./dmbooter start" didn't return, so I added
>an & to the daemon line of start part of script:
>
>            daemon /usr/local/dm/booter/dmbooter.py &
>
>Is this ok to do?

Yup!

>QUESTION #3: What if dmbooter.py has stdout or stderr output? Where does
>it go?  Should I redirect it somewhere?

Yup!

       daemon /usr/local/dm/booter/dmbooter.py  >/var/log/foo 2>&1 &
--
                      --- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6       <*>      http://www.rahul.net/aahz/
Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het

'It's odd, and a little unsettling, to reflect upon the fact that English is
the only major language in which "I" is capitalized; in many other languages
"You" is capitalized and the "i" is lower case.'  -- Sydney J. Harris