Bytecode optimisation

Martijn Faassen faassen at pop.vet.uu.nl
Wed May 19 04:55:48 EDT 1999

Corran Webster wrote:

> But by and large, you are right.  One concept I have been playing with is
> marking some local variables as being "globally tainted" - in other words
> those whose value can be changed by unknown side effects.  The behavior
> on non tainted variables is more predictable.

I think in C/C++ terminology such globally tainted variables are called
'volatile'. Perhaps a good terminology to use here?

Also of course the whole 'const' issue is part of this. If you can
guarantee a reference to for instance a list will be 'const' (non
changing) during the execution of a function, you can probably do some
more optimization.

Regards,

Martijn