Python 2.0

Michael P. Reilly arcege at shore.net
Fri May 28 10:49:15 EDT 1999

Hans Nowak <ivnowa at hvision.nl> wrote:

: On 27 May 99, Graham Matthews wrote:

:> I was wondering if this is seriously being considered -- that is
:> implementing Python 2.0 in Java rather than C. While I understand
:> that there are some technical challenges with this (notably interfacing
:> to the existing C implemented extensions), I personally think there
:> is a lot to be said for compiling Python to the JVM. For example:
:> access to the Java apis, garbage collection, true compilation, the
:> ability to write statically typed code (just write that part in Java!),
:> access to Swing, promoting Python on the coat-tails of Java (free
:> publicity and hype), etc.
:>
:> Comments?

: While an implementation of Python in Java is a very nice thing to
: have (see JPython), I would not be too happy if this were the *only*
: version. Java does not run on every system or OS. This would mean
: that there won't be, for instance, a Python 2.0 for DOS. (And maybe
: other systems. Is there Java for the Amiga, for instance?) Now I know
: that most people think that DOS is dead, and technically inferior, so
: it won't be a big deal, but there are still quite a few DOS users
: around, and it does have its advantages over Windows.

: If it will be implemented in C or C++, I can't see how Python 2.0
: will *not* compile for DOS, but in Java, it's a different bowl of
: soup. Anyway, my point is not really that there should be a DOS
: version, but... Right now Python can be built on just about any
: system. That's because there's a C compiler for just about any
: system. Choosing Java as implementation language would change that.
: (And, for a working graphical implementation, one would need, say,
: Java, Python and Tkinter...)

: This argument may seem feeble but many users of less popular systems
: are very glad that there's a Python available for them. I think it
: would be desirable to keep it that way.

Not to mention that quite a few people here have mentioned that they
have been trying to port Python to embedded systems (as opposed to
embedding in an app).

Java is a nice-to-have (and we already have it), but the JVM cannot
deal with the world at the level that C can (or ever will by the nature
of the two languages).

  -Arcege