I need an Oracle database access module

Paul Boddie paulb at infercor.no
Tue May 25 06:31:57 EDT 1999

Doug Hellmann wrote:

[...]

> Searching on python.org and google.com, I found a variety of references
> to DCOracle and oracledb.  I can't get to the page on the Digital
> Creations web site referenced by the link to DCOracle because it looks
> like the site is being renovated and the page has moved.  The server
> that appears to contain oracledb isn't showing up in DNS when I try to
> go there (http://alumni.dgs.monash.edu.au/~anthony/oracledb).

DCOracle can apparently be downloaded from the Zope site:

http://www.zope.org/Download/DCOracle/

Meanwhile, I do notice that oracledb is hard to find in any version given the
inaccessible status of both the Digital Creations FTP site and the site quoted
above.

> Can anyone help?  Do these modules have new homes?  Are they obsolete?

When I used oracledb it seemed fairly comprehensive, although there wasn't so
much work visibly being done on it at the time. However, DCOracle is probably
your best bet as I do know that a lot of work was put into it by DC, going as
far as to support many features that weren't addressed in oracledb.

Paul

P.S. The DB-SIG pages and the contributed software pages on www.python.org don't
seem to be that consistent. In addition, although I am aware that going for the
DB-SIG might well be the fastest way to find out about database modules for
Python, for a newcomer coming to the Python site for the first time, however, it
might not be an obvious thing to do to follow the "Special Interest Groups'
mailing lists and archives" link.