Bytecode optimisation

Christian Tismer tismer at appliedbiometrics.com
Fri May 21 05:24:47 EDT 1999

Michael Vanier wrote:

> There *is* a flexibility-versus-speed tradeoff, of course, but that doesn't
> mean you can't have both in one language.  I suspect most hardcore python
> programmers would rather change:
>
>     def munge(a, b):
>         return 2 * a + 3 * (a - b)
>
> to (pseudo-python)
>
>     def munge(a, b):
>             declare a, b, return: int  # a, b, and return value are ints
>             return 2 * a + 3 * (a - b)
>
> than recode in C all the time.  This is the kind of direction I'd like to
> see python 2.x take.

Absolutely.
The same declarations would also be added for
the builtins, and we would not only get speed,
but a lot of errors are compile-time detectable.

ciao - chris

Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 101   :    *Starship* http://starship.python.net
10553 Berlin                 :     PGP key -> http://wwwkeys.pgp.net