Python vs. VB

Kevin Russell krussll at cc.umanitoba.ca
Thu May 20 20:15:17 EDT 1999

Bob Horvath wrote:

>   I run into managers that don't get the open source
> movement.  They would be much more comfortable with things likePython if
> they were commercial.  These are the kinds of managers that you could say
> that Python comes from PSA, and they would nod their heads even though they
> have no idea what that means. But if you say it is open source by some guy
> on the Internet, they would jerk into wise manager mode and start spouting
> terms like risk management.

Since it's so obvious that managers *want* to pay tons of money to get
a worse product and less service than they could get for free, why doesn't
the PSA burn 1.5.0 onto a CD, shrink-wrap it, xerox the docs, call it
"Python Gold" or "Python LE" or some such, and sell it to the
pointy-haired for four figures?  They could even offer to add on the
string, math, re, and os modules for a mere $499 a piece!

Hmm, I'm almost remembering a word from a philosophy course I
never took.  "Ethnic"? "Ethos"?  Nope, it just won't come to me...

Anymore fund-raising ideas out there?

-- Kevin