Bytecode optimisation

Christian Tismer tismer at appliedbiometrics.com
Tue May 18 20:33:25 EDT 1999

"M.-A. Lemburg" wrote:
> About adding type information to variables:
>
> Wouldn't it be possible to make the optimizer recognize
> the following type of assert statement and then use the
> implicit information contained in it...
>
> assert type(x) is types.IntegerType
> x = x + 2
>
> There are many advantages to this construct, since it can
> be used to debug *and* optimize code. It also is perfectly
> valid Python and shows the programmers intent pretty well,
> IMHO.

Sounds fine, although it doesn't give you a guarantee,
just a hint. Faulty code could change x' type again
somewhere, so either a flow analysis is needed, or
the code must still be aware of any type, and can just
optimize towards the promised one.

ciao - chris

Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 101   :    *Starship* http://starship.python.net
10553 Berlin                 :     PGP key -> http://wwwkeys.pgp.net