building an extension

Travis Oliphant olipt at mayo.edu
Thu May 27 01:36:24 EDT 1999

On Thu, 27 May 1999, Vlachidis Costas wrote:

> Hi
> Trying to built an extension (image python) ,and after  make  -f
> "/usr/i486-linux/bin/ld:cannot open -lz: Nosuch file or directory"
> My system is a Suse6.0Linux on a pentium100
> I apreciated if someone helped me

Several random suggestions:

Apparently your module is linked against the libz.so (compression) library
and the dynamic loader can't find it at run time.

Do you have libz.so installed?  It should be in /usr/lib or
/usr/local/lib.

It seems a little odd that you are running /usr/i486-linux/bin/ld as the
loader.

Run ldd <myextension_module.so> and see what libraries it depends on.

You may also need to run ldconfig

Good luck.

Travis Oliphant