Newbie asks about static variables...

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Sun May 9 17:37:48 EDT 1999

[about True Data Hiding(TM) and Python's old "access" keyword]

[Moshe Zadka]
> Wow, history can be scary! I never imagined there was such a thing in
> Python. Can you give us more versional history? (I.e., which versions
> had that horrible beature)

Sure, I can tell you exactly -- but it's more fun to find out for yourself.
There's a quarter Mb of Python history in the source distribution's file
Misc/HISTORY.  IIRC, someone other than Guido did the bulk of the "access"
implementation as part of their thesis research.

> notice-that-legalising-class-abuse-and-drug-abuse-were-both-legalized-
> in-amsterdam-which-is-probably-good-ly y'rs, Z.

Yes, and it's strongly related to why curly braces hurt Guido's eyes <wink>.

dear-lord-not-the-comfy-needle-again-ly y'rs  - tim