Python 2.0

Paul Moore gustav at morpheus.demon.co.uk
Thu May 27 16:42:49 EDT 1999

On 27 May 1999 19:33:38 GMT, graham at sloth.math.uga.edu (Graham
Matthews) wrote:

>I was wondering if this is seriously being considered -- that is
>implementing Python 2.0 in Java rather than C. While I understand
>that there are some technical challenges with this (notably interfacing
>to the existing C implemented extensions), I personally think there
>is a lot to be said for compiling Python to the JVM. For example:
>access to the Java apis, garbage collection, true compilation, the
>ability to write statically typed code (just write that part in Java!),
>access to Swing, promoting Python on the coat-tails of Java (free
>publicity and hype), etc.
>
>Comments?

I have no problem with an implementation of Python in Java (see
JPython). But I would never use it (reliance on a JVM, general
dissatisfaction with Java implementations, etc).

What I *would* object to, strongly, would be the lack of a Python
implementation in C. I assume that there is no intention that this
should happen.

How would I embed Python in a C application, without a C API? And how
would I distribute a C application with embedded (Java-) Python to
machines with no JVM, assuming I don't want to (or don't have the
capability to) distribute a JVM.

Enough said.

Paul.