Python 1.5.2 and large files (Solaris 7)

Steve Clift clift at mail.anacapa.net
Mon May 24 22:35:25 EDT 1999

Hrvoje Niksic writes:

[snip]

>The only thing I don't like is that Long is returned even when the
>size of a file is less than 2G.  I'm not sure if that's a bug or a
>feature, or what the consequences are.

I thought about making the return values switch types automatically
depending on their magnitude, but eventually decided that was a bit
on the weird side. The test suite ran OK with plain Python longs, so
I left it that way. Also, getting a long back is a clue that large
file support is enabled.

One other thing: on Solaris it's easier to type `getconf LFS_CFLAGS`
than the bizarre defines in the doco, and the result is the same.

-Steve