Does PIL still support wmf graphics format?

Charles G Waldman cgw at fnal.gov
Tue May 25 13:28:43 EDT 1999

tlng at phileo.com.my writes:
 > Hello, I've been looking for a Python library that can help me convert
 > wmf (windows metafiles) to gif. After searching in comp.lang.python's
 > old archives, I came across some of PIL's old postings that seemed to
 > indicate that wmf format is supported by PIL. However, after visiting
 > Pythonware's site and reading the online PIL's draft documentation, I
 > find that the wmf format is not listed as one of the image file formats
 > supported by PIL. Has PIL dropped support for wmf?

According to the comments in WmfImagePlugin.py:

# notes:
#       This code currently supports placable metafiles only, and
#       just a few graphics operations are implemented.
#

As far as I know the WMF plugin was never completely implemented. If
you know a lot about WMF you could step up to the plate and make a
working WMF plugin, I'm sure the overly-busy F-bot would appreciate
it.