Assorted Questions regarding the future of Python...

Andy Robinson andy at robanal.demon.co.uk
Sun Nov 7 17:04:48 EST 1999

>And more to the point, VB was (and is), usually, "fast enough".  Who
>does huge matrix manipulation etc in VB anyway?  Lots of the focus the
>industry has on speed is a red herring IMO.
>
>Just like Python itself - really quite "slow" compared to these
>natively compiled languages - but in the entire time I have used it, I
>have had to use the profiler exactly twice.  In every other case, it
>has been more than "fast enough" (and the development speed far
>outweighs the difference anyway).
>
>Whats-a-milli-second-between-friends-ly,
>
>Mark.

The only thing I'd add is that you are skilled enough to use both
tools and make the right choice for the right job.  There are legions
of corporate "Application Programmers" (which I have come to realize
is a term of condescension used by "Systems Programmers") who only
know something like VB; occasionally they end up forced to do some
inappropriate data crunching in VB, or produce something which
thrashes the network or the database to death because they went for a
solution using only the tools they knew and not the best ones.  I was
guilty of this a few times in my VB days..

Andy