A Comparison of Python and Ruby Extension Interfaces (Re: Comparison between Python and "Ruby")

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at compaq.com
Mon Nov 8 08:55:08 EST 1999

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Python used to have short names too, and in fact the current naming
> scheme was intruduced with great reluctance.  Unfortunately the
> realities of embedding Python in other apps required the current
> longer names

I know, I didn't mean that as a criticism of Python.
I understand the importance of keeping namespaces
under control!

In fact, I'm not very impressed with Ruby's naming
scheme, which seems rather inconsistent. Most Ruby-related
names start with "rb_", but some just start with "R",
and some don't have any unique prefix at all.

Also it's not entirely clear what the rational is behind
the various uses of lowercase, uppercase, mixedcase,
embedded underscores, etc. There probably is one, but
it all looks a bit haphazard at first sight.

Greg