XPython (X11)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at alpha1.csd.uwm.edu
Mon Nov 29 13:49:45 EST 1999

On 29 Nov 1999 01:26:30 +1000, Rob Hodges <s323140 at student.uq.edu.au> wrote:
>bernhard at alpha1.csd.uwm.edu (Bernhard Reiter) writes:
>
>> >Hey! Don't forget PyQt and PyKDE (and PyQt seems to be
>> >working under Windows, too, nowadays)...
>> Do you have to buy the Troll Kit first? >:)
>>
>> And I didn't mention pyGNOME, why should I mention to PyKDE?
>> To create an application tied to KDE or GNOME is a mistake in my
>> eyes anyway. <wink>

>I'm struggling a bit to understand why you say that in this context.
>I can't speak for pyKDE (although I imagine the situation is the
>same), but developing with pyGnome doesn't imply a 'tying' to Gnome;
>only that the Gnome libs must be available in addition to the GTK libs
>-- just as you must have wxwin in addition to GTK to run wxpython
>apps.  One advantage of PyGnome over straight PyGtk is that it offers
>the Gnome Canvas widget, which can be useful whether the user is
>running Gnome or not.

>There is also no harm in taking advantage of the various services
>provided by these desktop environments to improve the user's
>experience, provided that your app also works nicely without them;

True. But I want that over an integrated API and GNOME and KDE
don't offer that yet. And they also don't offer it cross platform.
wxWindows at least tries to get there.

>And yeah, last I heard you had to buy the Troll Kit for PyQt under
>Win32.
Dropping platform compatibility, that a huge point.

>I strongly prefer PyGtk over WxPython on Linux, so I'm
>curious in case I should have to develop anything for Win in the
>future (but, I guess, not curious enough to reboot :)

Hmm wxPython seems very reasonable to me, why not fix that then.
	Bernhard
--
Research Assistant, Geog Dept UM-Milwaukee, USA.  (www.uwm.edu/~bernhard)
Free Software Projects and Consulting 		         (intevation.net)