What are Aspects? (Re: How can I make my assertions smarter?)

William Tanksley wtanksle at hawking.armored.net
Thu Nov 4 15:59:23 EST 1999

On Wed, 3 Nov 1999 20:43:58 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time), David Ascher wrote:
>On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, Greg Ewing wrote:
>> William Tanksley wrote:

>> > Aspects are really cool -- like a semantic preprocessor on steroids.

>> Where can we find out more about these Aspect thingies?

>www.aspectj.org

That's a good one.  The original Xerox papers (linked to from that site)
are also good.

In short, aspects are like objects, only where an object implements a
self-contained concept, an aspect implements a widespread concept.  For
example, reference counting could be written as an aspect, but never as an
object.

--
-William "Billy" Tanksley