Python in business programming [was Re: Beginning programming with Python]

Gerrit Holl gerrit.holl at pobox.com
Fri Nov 19 07:58:11 EST 1999

Gordon McMillan wrote:
> (the code, compile, test cycle is now rarely more than half an hour).

Hehe, Win NT should be rewritten in Python; it seems that this cycle costs
30 hours for NT :-))

> Test suites are
> more important (but also easier). For large systems,
> decomposing the problem cleanly is very important - to
> preserve your sanity you need the smallest, cleanest
> interfaces possible between subsystems. But, if at first you
> foul it up, you can still rewrite most of it before lunch.

I agree. But some functions are too small to be used:
in os.path:
def os.path.isabs(s):
    return p[:1] == '/'

I think that's a redicolous (how does one spell that?) function...

regards,
Gerrit.

--
"We all know Linux is great...it does infinite loops in 5 seconds."
(Linus Torvalds about the superiority of Linux on the Amterdam