making the Python case to my dept.

Evan Simpson evan at tokenexchange.com
Sat Nov 6 00:04:01 EST 1999

William Ahern <wahern at jinsa.org> wrote in message
news:9911051740130D.02530 at william.jinsa.org...
> I have never used Python, but I'm currently attempting to persuade a
department
> at my university (Geroge Washington) to use Python as an intro language. I
have
> read that it was good for this. From what I hear, the current options on
the
> table are Delphi and Java. I don't know much about Delphi, but I doubt
Java is
> any good for intro classes.

Well, I don't know much about Java, but I've been a professional Delphi
programmer for about five years now.  Up until a year and a half ago, I'd
have said that Delphi would be fine for your purposes.  Then I learned
Python :-)

Now I'm preparing to introduce my children to programming through Python.
I'm starting with their fascination with Alice, the 3-D animation workshop
which even my 6 year old enjoys playing with (though he doesn't script it...
yet).

Cheers,

Evan @ 4-am