Template for CGI

Marco Musazzi marco.musazzi at sofositalia.it
Fri Nov 5 15:48:57 EST 1999

>On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, Glenn Kidd wrote:
>> I am a newbie to Python and I have a question.  I want a CGI script that
>> will read a file template and replace certain words with variables.  Ii
>> tried putting the variable names in the file but it is read as palin
text.
>> Is there a way to embed variables into a teplate or a replace function in
>> Python?  Thank you for any help you give.

You can use something like this:

template file:
your template text  your template text %variable% your template text
%variable2%

%xxx% is the placeholder for "variable" xxx (you can replace % with what you
like)

in your python code:

import string

template = open("yourtemplatefile")
templateText = template.read()
template.close()

templateText = string.replace(templateText, "%variable%",
str(value_of_variable))
templateText = string.replace(templateText, "%variable2%",
str(value_of_variable2))
# an so on....

# printing a minimal http header
print "Content-type: text/html"
print

# printing the template filled with the variables
print templateText

You can do it better using a value-filled dictionary:

val = {"variable":value1, "variable2":value2,  etc...... } # you may read
this dict from a shelv db for example...

for k in val.keys():
    templateText = string.replace(templateText, "%"+ k + "%", val[k] )

# printing a minimal http header
print "Content-type: text/html"
print

# printing the template filled with the variables
print templateText

And you can use both the mothods at the same time...

happy coding
Marco