Some more Ruby observations (Re: Comparison between Python and "Ruby")

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at compaq.com
Mon Nov 8 08:46:28 EST 1999

Neel Krishnaswami wrote:

> and since continuation-passing forms are just a hair away from
> bytecode, I am a bit surprised by this news.

I don't see how continuation-passing and bytecode have anything
to do with each other.

> Are there any syntax-tree munging phases to do stuff like common
> subexpression elimination and loop hoisting?

I haven't seen any so far, although I haven't really looked
for these things.

I get the impression that speed isn't a major design goal in
this implementation of Ruby, at least not as much as it is
in CPython. All of Ruby's built-in operations go through a
method lookup, for example, even adding two integers.

Greg