Beginning programming with Python

Tom Culliton culliton at clark.net
Thu Nov 11 17:00:41 EST 1999

In article <sng0ychgwt.fsf at motorola.com>,
Aaron Ginn  <aaron.ginn at motorola.com> wrote:
>I'm starting a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting computer
>literacy in low-income youth (ages 12-18).  The curriculum will
>include an introduction to programming using either Python or Perl.

A worthy undertaking.

>First, I know Perl very well, but I know nothing about Python.  I've
>heard from many sources that Python is the best language to teach
>someone with no programming experience because it emphasizes
>fundamentals and the correct (i.e. best) way to program.  Could anyone
>comment on how the two languages compare in this aspect?  Also, I will
>need to learn Python as well if I choose to go that route.  I am very
>literate with Perl and Tcl/TK.  How quickly can I expect to pick up
>Python?

A day for the basics and to be able to do useful stuff, a week to be
pretty comfortable.  I've taught quite a few people now, starting with
myself ;-), and it goes very fast.  Having someone who can look over
your shoulder, answer questions, and suggest better idioms speeds
things up, but if you've got a few procedural langauges under your
belt already, it's a slam dunk.

Two concepts to pay attention to which ease the process are the
mutable vs. immutable distinction and "everything is a reference
(object)".

>Secondly, if I choose to use Python for this, I would like to supply
>each student with a reference book on Python.  I've narrowed it down
>to a choice between the two O'Reilly books, "Programming Python" and
>"Learning Python".  PP apears to have a lot more meat to it, but LP
>appears to be more suited to the beginner.  Assuming the audience
>includes kids that have never programmed before, should I go with LP,
>or will I miss out on anything by not getting the more detailed book?

"Programming Python" is good book but it's more of a catalog/reference
than a learning book.  "Learning Python" is a very nice tutorial.
There are also several free tutorials available for folks with varying
levels of experience.  I learned from the standard tutorial that comes
with the on-line Python Documentation and thought it was excellent for
someone with a bit of experience.