GNU readline module

Kannan Vijayan kvijayan at calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Sat Nov 13 23:13:08 EST 1999

hi

I'm trying to get the readline module
to work in python.
I have an app to which I want to add
tab-completion of commands and other things.

The docs for the GNU readline module are
extremely sparse.  Most of what I know about
the module are derived from looking at it's
source, looking at how "rlcompleter" uses it,
and my own sparse knowledge of the C readline
implementation itself.

As far as I can see, there is no hook to the
"readline(char *PROMPT)" function in the
readline module.  Am I missing something?

I have, however, gotten my completer function
to work well from within the interactive
interpreter environment.  What I'm having
trouble with is getting it to work from a
non-interactively interpreted application in
it's own happy .py file.  I assume there would
be some function which I could call to read a
line, which in turn would call my completer
function to do the job when a tab is pressed.

I have a nagging notion that maybe the readline
module is only for use from withing the
interactive interpreter.  IS this true? if so..
that's extremely dissapointing.

thank you
-kannan