Python complaints

William J. King wjk at wjk.mv.com
Sun Nov 28 22:09:43 EST 1999

Python is very interesting and I do not have any real complaints since most

things can be worked around in one way or another. As a relatively new
person
to python programming I have not really compiled a list of complaints:

1.  like the indents -- makes coding easier to read and follow  -
        requires discipline me thinks

2. would like something like  'increment'/'decrement' operators
        either in form:
                    "x++"  or "incr x" vice "x = x + 1 " but its ok

3. would like to be able to iterate through a list using 2/more variables
instead of
        only one (unless its possible and I missed it) :
                            for (x,y,z) in list:
                                    pass            #favorite thing about
Python

4. conversion of integer to a string ( which may exist but havn't found
yet)
        so I made a dictionary for what I needed -- was difficult to
subscript
        strings by adding a number to it without it

5. would like to see regular array construct in addition to
dictionary/list/tuples
        faked that one with a dictionary

6. some simpler description of current regular expressions in python
        some knowledge of grep/vi/awk/sed/perl/tcl - glob - regexp & regsub
and
        now python can be a dangerous thing -- regular expressions rule if
you
        get them right

7. Tkinter is proving to be easier than I thought -- mostly intuitive from
        some previouse experience with Tcl/Tk - X-windows/Win95

8. OOP is different and strange -- new to OOP -- have been looking for
        simple directions in that - Python has certainly helped in making
me
        aware of OOP and providing a better understanding than some
        materials I have read... looked at Java and threw up my hands for
the
        time being

9. Scoping is a bit different that I thought -- try to rember LGB

OK -- now these are not really complaints but I would iterate that I
feel Python is fun and the Python community is great! --- havn't been
spammed for any of my newbie questions and everyone seems to be
very helpful.

I have done a lot of the things you can do in Python by using just
shell scripting and UNIX utilities alone,  so I don't really have any
complaints about Python.